Tuesday, June 27, 2017

The Walking Land by Callie Bates






“Lady Elanna Valtai is fiercely devoted to the King who raised her like a daughter, but when he dies under mysterious circumstances, Elanna is accused of his murder and must flee for her life.

Returning to the homeland of magical legends she has forsaken, Elanna is forced to reconcile with her despised, estranged father, branded a traitor long ago. Feeling a strange connection to the natural world, she also must face the truth about the forces she has always denied as superstition powers that suddenly stir within her.

Elanna has no choice but to lead a rebellion against the kingdom to which she once gave her allegiance. Trapped between divided loyalties, she must summon the courage to confront a destiny that could tear her apart.”


I got this book as a part of an ARC giveaway at bookcon. I didn’t know anything about the book or the author, I simply looked at the cover and I knew it was something I would like. I have to say the cover did the book complete justice.
  

I’m hoping that the final edited and printed version of this novel does not change all that much. When I first started reading the book it reminded me of a Court of Thorns and Roses. A girl with hidden potential kept away and taken by the enemy. I wasn’t sure if I was going to like it and then I found myself unable to put it down. It reminds me of the Pixar movie “Brave”, full of folklore and old world history and magic. It was a fast read and I’m really hoping there is another book in the series, but if there isn’t then I’d be content as well. I just love the characters, their development, and the hidden secrets and plot twists along the way. Definitely a good summer read that can be devoured in about two days at the beach.

No comments:

January New Releases

January 12th Waiting for the Night Song Julie Carrick Dalton A startling and timely debut, Julie Carrick Dalton's Waiting for the Night ...