Friday, June 9, 2017

I Was Here by Gayle Forman

Goodreads blurb;

“When her best friend Meg drinks a bottle of industrial-strength cleaner alone in a motel room, Cody is understandably shocked and devastated. When Cody travels to Meg’s college town to pack up the belongings left behind, she discovers that there’s a lot Meg never told her. About her roommates, Ben McAllister, and about an encrypted computer file that Cody can’t open. Until she does and suddenly everything Cody thought she knew about her best friend’s death gets thrown into question.”

I went to Emily’s house one day and she had gone through her To Be Read books to look and see if she was still interested in them. This book was in the pile she was going to donate. I picked up this book, read the description, and much like Love Letters to the Dead I thought, “Eh...this will do”. There are a few moments where I was disappointed, such as the romance aspect of the novel, but for the most part I enjoyed it. The characters were fleshed out and the plot was solid but I overall enjoyed how Forman handled the topic of suicide. It came from more of an understanding and mature standpoint. That Cody didn’t see “warning signs” or that she was depressed, but that’s how it is. There isn’t a neon sign pointing to you saying “Ayo, I’m depressed, what’s up?”. It stays bottled up on the inside and often doesn’t show on the outside.


Overall, it took me about a day to read the book. There were moments that I could not stand, especially Cody and her immaturity, but for the most part I enjoyed it. It could be triggering for some, so be mindful and read other reviews before deciding if it’s for you.

No comments:

January New Releases

January 12th Waiting for the Night Song Julie Carrick Dalton A startling and timely debut, Julie Carrick Dalton's Waiting for the Night ...