Friday, June 23, 2017

Love Letters to the Dead by Ava Dellaria





“It began as an assignment for English class: write a letter to a dead person."

Love Letters to the Dead is told in letter format to several deceased persons- from Janis Joplin to Amelia Earhart. It tells a story of a girl named Laurel who needs to accept and write the truth of what happened to her, in order to accept what happened to her older sister, May. Through these letters-she can begin to accept herself as well as the person her sister was.


I never actually intended to finish reading this book. It belongs to my younger sister and I desperately needed a book to read. Therefore, I picked it up, read the description, and thought “eh..this will do”. The main character Laurel is boring and quite frankly annoyed me. For the rest of the story, especially what happens to May, I was trapped. It took my emotions and life experiences and made me look at them face on. My overall thoughts of the book are conflicted though...like I enjoyed it and it made me emotional but I also hated it. Regardless, it reminded me of The Perks of Being a Wallflower.

No comments:

January New Releases

January 12th Waiting for the Night Song Julie Carrick Dalton A startling and timely debut, Julie Carrick Dalton's Waiting for the Night ...