Tuesday, July 4, 2017

The Beguiled by Thomas Cullinan

" A wounded union soldier is taken into a southern girls academy, and his presence sets in motion a tragedy of jealousy, hate and lust"


The review I read on Goodreads as well as other sites have shown that a majority of readers are entranced with the story...until they get to the end. That it is amazing and jaw dropping right until the ending and then its disappointing.


Well even as an avid reader of non-fiction and fiction historical novels, this was a hard book to get through. I pushed through it mainly because I was already halfway through and I was interested in seeing the recently released remake. Now having finished reading the book...I'm definitely not interested in seeing the movie.


I was hoping there would be a moment that would suck me into the storyline and keep me intrigued until the end. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case. I will say that the authors writing style was incredible and I would be interested in reading other novels of his, but I just did not connect to this novel or any of the characters.


Obviously, don't just take my word for it. Read other reviews and make your own decision. I might have just been in the wrong mind frame to read the book and couldn't appreciate it.







No comments:

January New Releases

January 12th Waiting for the Night Song Julie Carrick Dalton A startling and timely debut, Julie Carrick Dalton's Waiting for the Night ...