Tuesday, July 25, 2017

A Map for Wrecked Girls by Jessica Taylor




This is an ARC I picked up from Bookcon last month and I was so excited to get it...it truly was just as good as I hoped it would be.

I finished this book in a day, it just kept you wanting to read more and on the edge of your seat. These children were stranded on an island after witnessing one of their friends die and then have to deal with the repercussions of being stranded- learning and adapting to survive on a tropical island- as well as their past issues with themselves and each other.

When reading other reviews on Goodreads, I know there are a lot of people who are unsure of the probability of a 17 and 16 year old going out every night to party, but trust me it happens...I was one of those kids. It’s exactly how the author portrays it, it’s dirty, crude, and not at all glamourous. I feel like the party scene outlined and described in the book was necessary, it gave more depth to the entire story and background of Henri and Emma.

This book hit on so many issues teens are having, the dangers of not seeking help and spiraling out of control, and the overall anxiety of being a teenager in this day and age.


What I absolutely loved was the sister relationship. It’s truly my relationship with my younger sister and I found myself reading out loud passages from the book and her just saying, “Why is this actually us?”. It showed the true complexities of a sister relationship, and even if one is angry/upset with the other, the love you have for one another will never die or change. It is truly a deep and rooted love.

I just whole heartedly hope that the novel does not change that much from the ARC. Regardless, I’ll be buying the final version when it hits the stores.

No comments:

January New Releases

January 12th Waiting for the Night Song Julie Carrick Dalton A startling and timely debut, Julie Carrick Dalton's Waiting for the Night ...