Tuesday, October 10, 2017

The Cigarette Girl by Carol Wolper



Goodreads Blurb:

“Put a smart girl in Hollywood, land her a job writing screenplays for blow-em-up action stars, give her a ruinous penchant for bad boys, and reward her with a fearless determination to find "Mr. Maybe", and you have this absolutely engaging, hilariously dead-on comic novel about a maverick's pursuit of love and happiness in the wild west.”

My Thoughts:
I got this book from a thrift store for $2 and that’s pretty much what I would want to buy it for in stores. I truly did not enjoy this book. I was hoping I would since the beginning of the book I really was hooked. It was funny, witty, and it had what I was looking for in the story. It what was described on the back cover, until about halfway through. It did not have the story I wanted or was hoping for. Even if it was how the main character wanted it to end, I can't help but feel disappointed in the entire storyline. It just ended and was abrupt at that.

There was no character development and it just went nowhere in those regards, her situation is the same, and even if there was witty dialogue- it means nothing if the book doesn’t move along. I wish I could say I enjoyed it more, but it just left me disappointed in the characters and story. I did enjoy how the book was broken up into the thoughts and dialogue structure of a screen write. Kept it to the theme and inside the brain of a screenplay writer.

No comments:

January New Releases

January 12th Waiting for the Night Song Julie Carrick Dalton A startling and timely debut, Julie Carrick Dalton's Waiting for the Night ...